B

Home Politics Entertenment Lifestyle Sports Business Health Local World Tech

G




Monday 5 December 2011

Miss Mississippi ready to go: Roark models wardrobe

VICKSBURG, MS -A month from today, Miss Mississippi 2011, Mary Margaret Roark will be heading to the Miss America pageant in Las Vegas, Nevada.


Sunday afternoon in Vicksburg, Miss Mississippi previewed some of the wardrobe she will take to the national competition. She will have to be prepared for a pancake breakfast, press events, balls, concerts and the actual on stage competition.


Miss Mississippi has been busy since July when she was crowned, promoting her platform, J.E.W.E.L.S for Alzheimer's. Her grandmother has Alzheimer's and she designs jewelry to help raise money to find a cure and provide support for families dealing with the disease. She also talked with us about some of her favorite outfits.


"The purple dress is one of my favorites, my jewelry that I have actually made, that I'll be show casing, one of my passions which is J.E.W.E.L.S for Alzheimer's, and my evening gown is everything I could have imagined and more. So its definitely at the top of my list of favorite outfits as well", said Roark.


Roark, the state's third Miss Mississippi in a row from Mississippi State University after James and 2009's Anna Tadlock, started the show off Sunday with a black, one-shoulder minidress with a ruffle and black strappy heels that she plans to wear to the Planet Hollywood reception when she first arrives in Las Vegas.


The second outfit, for "College Day," is a maroon and white MSU jacket with matching maroon pants.


After some ribbing from James about having to ring a cowbell in Las Vegas for three years in a row, Ole Miss fan David Blackledge, chairman of the board and executive director of the Miss Mississippi Corp., thanked the girls for not mentioning that MSU has also won the Egg Bowl three years in a row.


James said the ability to relax and enjoy the jokes and the fun and meeting the different people make the Miss Mississippi experience unforgettable.


"She seems like she's just having a great time, that's the most important thing," James said. "I've told her to appreciate every minute, because although Las Vegas is your goal and the Miss America crown, the year as Miss Mississippi is something special."


A recurring theme in Roark's outfits was lighter colors - champagne, silver and white - though bright colors were scattered throughout as well. She had a bright red cocktail dress with rhinestone trimming for one occasion, and a gown with a colorful burnout print on the bodice that ended in a dropped waist trimmed in rhinestones and a long black sequined skirt.


The pageant airs at 8 p.m. Jan. 14 on ABC. Roark said for those who tune in, there will still be surprises. Her dress for the evening gown competition was being altered on Sunday, so the Miss America Pageant will be the gown's debut.


Roark described it as "a classic Miss America look with a modern twist."


"My evening gown is my favorite. When I think of Miss America 2012 and what she needs to look like, it's me in my evening gown," she said.


And with the trunk show marking a month before they head for Las Vegas, Roark's parents said they think Roark is well-prepared.


"We've been very confident all year long, and today we're finally getting just a little nervous," said her mother, Dr. Mary Jo Roark. "But she's ready, and I know she'll do great.


"This is a whole lot more relaxing than Miss Mississippi," said her father, Fred Roark.


Support from her family and friends keeps her head in the game, Mary Margaret Roark said.


Plus, she said, "I'm inspired by the people of Mississippi.


"I've made appearances all across the state, many with audiences I've never met, and they open up their towns, their civic organizations, and schools, for no other reason than because I'm Miss Mississippi," she said.


That, to the 21-year-old Cleveland native, says a lot about her home state.


"They support me and back me in my journey to Miss America," she said. "They support their title holder every year no matter where she's from and who she is."

No comments:

Post a Comment